If I were you I would try to start as low-level as possible.

To do so, please check if your gdb is configured with textui enabled ( try starting it with arm-none-eabi-gdb --tui )

if only commandline shows up then download gdb and recompile it:

cd  gdb
./configure--target=arm-none-eabi--prefix=/usr/local
--program-prefix=arm-none-eabi---disable-werror --enable-tui

This Text UI is very nice for finding out if the problem is related to gdb or to the integration of gdb into the ide.

Here's how I call gdb:

arm-none-eabi-gdb hello.elf --tui --eval-command="target extended :3333" --eval-command="monitor reset halt" --eval-command="set mem inaccessible-by-default off" --eval-command="load"

This loads the binary, you should end up with the debugger showing you your source code.

Now try stepping through the code, if all is fine then great, problem is in the integration of gdb.

Stept I use:
break main
cont

step

When stepping does not work you can go deeper:

add

--eval-command="layout asm" --eval-command="layout regs"

to the commandline and start over, now you can single step through the assembler code with

stepi

This should help you to track down your problems (I hope)

Michael