> Did you use FTS4 for your search index?

Nope, I'm talking about searching on non-indexed column.

> Firebird's setup is pretty easy

I didn't say it's difficult, but certainly sqlite is much easier. You use
sqlite just like any other libraries, no setup required, just supply a
single dll/so (or nothing if you statically linked it). With firebird
embedded, you need to:
- supply a bunch of dll/so (firebird doesn't consist of just one)
- specify a config file
- set some environment variables before program start
easy, but certainly more than sqlite.

> I don't even understand that any pascal programmer (pascal being stronly
> typed)
can consider such a system. But there are many things I don't understand :)

As sqlite page says, it's designed to compete with fopen. sqlite does a good
job for easy data storage and retrieval, where it doesn't need complicated
setup like fopen, but it can be used (in terms of storing and retrieving
data, from its users point of view) like an rdbms :)