This could be a good moment for someone to bring the Wiki up-to-date (version 0.9.31 was a little while ago now). Also, the wiki page doesn't give any policy rules for interpreting major, minor and patch(?) numbers.

Interesting, if you took a pretty common view in that:

- patch numbers are used for bug fix releases
- minor numbers are changed for backwards but not forwards compatible changes (i.e. a 1.2.x app should still work under 1.4.x but the other way around is not true), and
- major changes are used when existing apps may be broken,

then Lazarus 2.0.x is only just around the corner. That's because as soon as FPC 3 becomes the required compiler there will be backwards compatibility issues (e.g. the TBookmark type changes break any app that uses it).

Tony Whyman
MWA

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Version_Numbering