On Fri, 6 Nov 2015, Martin Schreiber wrote:

On Friday 06 November 2015 17:42:39 Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
On Fri, 6 Nov 2015, Martin Schreiber wrote:
On Friday 06 November 2015 17:20:24 Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
Nevertheless I am of the opinion that WITH is evil and should be removed
from the IDE/LCL code (unless only identifiers from within the with
scope are used; but even then they could be removed...).

Or implement a safe "with" in Free Pascal without waiting until it is
enforced by Delphi compatibility...

Ehm. How can "with" ever be safe ?

You are joking, no? It has been discussed on fpc-pascal/fpc-devel several
times.

Erm... I am not joking.

Do you really think I recall every discussion or braindead proposal from these mailing lists over the last 20 years ?

I appreciate your high esteem of my memory, but alas, age takes it's toll... ;-)

But presumably you mean some construct as

With QMyVeryLongQueyObjectName as Q do
  try
    // Do things with Q
  finally
    Q.Close;
  end;

?

That is a modification of the current "with". I assumed you meant to make an unchanged "with" safe.

That said, a construct such as "With QMyVeryLongQueyObjectName as Q do" has my
support...

Michael.