My 2 cents:

1) a program routine is just a program routine, like pencils or a
paintbrush; neither of them is symbol.
If you are not comfortable with that symbol (any symbol that can be
offensive to anyone), you just have not to paint it and not to call the
routine.
Think about the difference!
(Example to help: I know at least a way to commit a homicide, but I don't
call that routine of mine, therefore I am not guitly of homicide)

2) please, revert the change, just to remember to anyone what the project
is, what the free software is.

R#