After some positive feedback on the suggestion last week, I did the work and
created a full set of button icons for lazarus. This set provides a
replacement for everything in the standard delphi "buttons" directory under
images.

Right now, only xpm's exist. Most of the icons were taken from the Nuvola set
for KDE (lgpl license) but a few came from CrystalSVG as well. Where I could
not find a suitable replacement, I made it myself. Overall they are as
consistent as I could get them and should hopefully help give lazarus apps a
more consistent look and feel. Most importantly though I hope they will save
lazarus programmers some time by providing prebuilt icons for most common
button-tasks so that nobody has to sit and create/find icons first.

The icon names were taken directly from their delphi counterparts for
familiarity reasons (of course it also made it a lot easier for me to see
what I had done yet and what was waiting).

Andrew Higgs has offered to do ico format versions of them, I personally see
no point in redoing the masked bitmap format that delphi used though I am
open to the idea if somebody can give a good reason and will volunteer for
the labour. However, I do think that before Andrew starts to do ico's I would
like everyone interested to take a look at the icons and make suggestions for
improvements, if you send me a better version of one of them, I will happily
replace it.

The bit which would make me very happy if guys on top were so inclined would
be to see it included in the main lazarus tree eventually (based on it's
delphi counterpart it should go under $LAZARUSDIR/images/buttons) but that
should wait until after people had a chance to at least comment on the
current set.

I am wearing my asbestos undies so if you think I did a horrible job, you are
welcome to tell me :)

The icons are in my subversion server and can be checked out with:
svn co svn://silentcoder.co.za/lazarus/buttons/

Ciao
A.J.
PS. Andrew, mail me with the username and password  you would like, and I will
give you write access to the tree.

--
"there's nothing as inspirational for a hacker as a cat obscuring a bug
by sitting in front of the monitor" - Boudewijn Rempt