Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
I think this should be handled by the svn client.
Make sure you have the set the line ending svn property of each file to native.

Any idea how I do this?

If you use TortoiseSVN, right click on the file, Properties -> Subversion.
Set svn:eol-style to native.

See also http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/SVN_Migration#Updating_and_commiting on how to add this automatically.

So what does Lazarus do with the line end characters when I edit a
file in Lazarus under Linux, that a collegue last edited in Lazarus
under Windows?
Does Lazarus preserve the line end characters used the first time the
file was edited, or does it keep changing them to whatever the last
platform used uses?

Lazarus saves file using native line ending.

Vincent.