Alain Michaud wrote:
I assume that lazarus will find the FPC stuff?

Well, not quite!

in the menu ENVIRONMENT OPTIONS you have manually update  the "FPC
SOURCE DIRECTORY" and make sure that it is OK by clicking the action:
"RESCAN SOURCE DIRECTORY"

This is a good oportunity for me to ask a developer for a little
explanation. Why is the source code necessary to build a user
application? I assume that the compiler will recompile all the code each
time, not just link to th already conmpiled libraries! Just a short
explanation (two lines max) would put me back on the track.

The sources are needed by the IDE (not the compiler) to generate event stubs and provide code completion.

Vincent