I would like to know what work is required to port the latest version
4.4.3? I have no clue about that and what exactly to do, but I would
like to use this latest version (which has not been ported).

What features have 4.4.3 that 4.0.17 not have ?
4.0.17 for Lazarus is still far away from original 4.0.17 remember Lazarus is cross platform so its not soo easy
to use ole drag&drop and masses of winapi functions :) ...
as i remember VT makes no big steps from 4.0.X to 4.4.X so why someody schould spend weeks of work to port it ? maybe we can add the functionality that 4.0.17 lacks and 4.4.3 has but i dont think an second port makes sense.

Regards
Christian Ulrich