> Actually, status messages is a to do for TTrayIcon. On Windows XP we
> can use ballons to show status messages. A research needs to be done
> about what people use on other operating systems / windows versions. A
> small window may be a good choice, as it´s very portable.
For what it helps, I did quite a bit of research and couldn't actually find
anything in the GTK1.2 docs - in fact there is no mention of a trayicon
component there (I assume it comes from somewhere close by though).

I reckon the answer here is to go look at the code for something like an old
version of gaim or such that uses gtk1 status mesages, and then implement it
with calls to the handle - if I find the answer, I'll send you a patch.

A bigger issue for me right now is that it no longer works with GTK2 - it
causes an instant segfault - oddly the backtrace shows it's calling on the
GTK1 units !
I don't know why it would be linking they tray icon against gtk1 if my app is
being linked to gtk2 - possibly because I run lazarus in gtk1, but I cannot
test this theory since the current lazarus builds segfault in gtk2 (I did a
backtrace, all I could figure out is the segfault is somewhere in the pango
libs, presumably this means there is a font bug in gtk2 that hits the IDE
pretty hard).

Ciao
A.J.
--
"there's nothing as inspirational for a hacker as a cat obscuring a bug
by sitting in front of the monitor" - Boudewijn Rempt