> What does that string do.  On SUSE 10.0  it reports very little.
> root=/dev/hda2 vga=0x317 selinux=0    resume=/dev/hda1  splash=silent

Did you type it LITERALLY ?
I think you were meant to expand $PID with something real (in lazarus code you
can get what it should be for this purpose from the GetPID function).

Try this:
PID=`OS aux | grep bash | awk '{print $2} |tail -n 1`
Then run the same command again
(Yes this is a roundabout way of proving a point, I did that on purpose).

A.J.
--
"there's nothing as inspirational for a hacker as a cat obscuring a bug
by sitting in front of the monitor" - Boudewijn Rempt