On Tuesday 22 August 2006 04:04, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On 8/21/06, "Fabrício F. Kammer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Thanks for your answer. What does this directive do?
>
> It tells the compiler to generate a console application under Windows.
> Has no effect under Linux, because on Unixes all applications are
> potentially console applications.

Well this is part of the process - but it will need SOME sort of loop in order
to remain running - I presume this is true under windows as well.
Of course I am not familiar with your tcp component - it may well create such
a loop.

Under Linux however, it's really not considdered good to leave a program in
the foreground when it's providing a TCP service - the right way(tm) under
linux is to write a daemon - the FPC examples for unix's have a sample daemon
which you can easilly adapt from - and which will also show you how to do all
the other things that the posix standards expect from a services (like
handling the various signals).

Ciao
A.J.

--
"there's nothing as inspirational for a hacker as a cat obscuring a bug
by sitting in front of the monitor" - Boudewijn Rempt