Albert Zeyer wrote:
As Michael said, you can cover a very huge range of systems if you distribute an i386 and AMD64 version. (But you should have in mind, that there are also some people with other architectures...) Most closed-source applications for Linux are only available for these (for example Google Earth and others), Opera for example still also provides a version for PPC. (I, as a Linux/PPC user, am a little bit frustaded about the situation, that I cannot use Flash, Google Earth, official ATI drivers, ...)

Ouch.  That hurts.

If you distribute a Windows application, you normaly also only distribute a i386 version of it.

Yes.  Very convenient.

But as an Open Source developer, I surely recommend you to distribute the source. :) And you are right: Only if you distribute the source, you can ensure, that your application will run nearly everywhere.

This particular piece of software is a simple xml based TCP server written in Laz/FP for a Windows client software so I have no problem with providing the source.

Personally, I just don't think it would be very convenient to customers to have to download the FP compiler and compile the software.

Maybe binaries by default with access to the source if they want it...this way a large majority of linux users could use the binary as is, but users with less prevelant distros would still be ok, if a little more inconvienced.

--

Warm Regards,

Lee