With Lazarus I'm faced with a dilemma. I want to migrate to Lazarus Delphi/Kylix applications. For that I need a stable version to work with, even if I need many workarounds to solve problems still open.

On the other hand I want to test the latest version, to follow the development and, within the limits of my time and my capabilities give as much contribution as possible.

The svn version many times fixes bugs not detected at the time of an "official" release". But using the latest svn version for production is rather unwise: it's work in progress, so one day the image dialog freezes the IDE, one day the glyph on the speedbuttons disappear, one day fpgui doesn't compile, one day qt has wrong dependencies, and so on.

Reading this list, it seems to me that many others face exactly the same problem. It would be nice if Lazarus could provide a "stable" branch, which starts with each "official" release, and it is only maintained by backporting bug fixes and/or "safe" small enhancements, leaving out all the developments for next release.

I understand that this requires extra work, and developers are already quite busy doing their excellent job, therefore someone else should take care of maintaining such branch, leaving to the developers only the task of approving what should or shouldn't be done: it's their work so they must have the last word, of course.

If the idea doesn't seem so stupid, and if nobody else more knowledgeable wants to undertake this task, I would gladly volunteer for it. While I'm unable to guarantee an effective contribution to the development for long periods of time, given my workload, I'm sure I can squeeze the time required for this job, if nobody else pops up.

What do you guys think about it?

Giuliano