On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 10/11/2007, Al Boldi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > This is a big misconception.  The fact that TForm has the ability to host
> > business rules and whatever else does not mean that you have to do it this
> > way.  You can maintain whatever model you like with TForm, for the mere fact
> > that it's event-driven.
>
> And that's where the problem comes in.  Borland gave developers
> DB-Aware components with all these great events to hook into.  They
> simply guide the developer into adding code into the forms, mixing
> business rules with the presentation layer.  I've maintained enough
> Delphi code from multiple projects in my career and every app designed
> with DB-Aware components have business rules embedded in the forms.
> >From specific filters to calculated fields, hard coded SQL etc...  Not
> to mention all these DB-Aware components tie you into a specify
> database structure due to hard coded field names used in the
> components + tying you to a specific component vendor.  DB-Aware
> components are great for quick prototyping, but that's about it.
>
> But hey, this is a totally separate topic that can go on forever....
> OPF's vs DB-Aware components.

Indeed. But I think that all will agree that the fact that it IS possible
allows to do real RAD, making it possible to create new programs very fast.

In a business world where Delphi had to compete with VB, this was the right
choice. Not anyone understands OOP/Business rules. But many can program VB...

Unlike VB where it was next to impossible to separate business logic
from presentation logic, in Delphi you have the choice to do so.

In Lazarus, with the RTTI controls, you have even more choice.

BTW. Graeme, the RTTI controls make much of your MV(*) layers redundant or
at least even more of a breeze. If you want I can send you an article I
wrote a couple of years ago that shows how...

Michael.