On Nov 25, 2007 6:04 PM, Vasily I. Volchenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Besides, in current implementation UTF8 might have a disadvantage with
> 2-byte+ encodings. Those encodings are in WideString format, and conversion
> to old string can be done either automatically or via special procedures (as
> it seems to be on kylix). UTF8 is implemented as a string. It has some
> advantages (easy works), but one big disadvantage. Working with 1-bit
> encoding strings everyone assumes it is one byte.

This has several failures:

1 - To convert from string to widestring you still need to know what
is the format on the string. There is just no automatic translation
that auto detects the format

2 - Most of the code I saw out there assume that utf16 has 2 bytes
too, which is false. In any case they will need to fix their code.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho