On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been asked by someone if it's possible to convert a console
> application systematically to a gui application.  One form at a time.
> So during the conversion process the application needs to be able to
> handle input from GUI Forms and from the console.
>

> > 1. is it possible to read input from the text console while those
> > forms are displayed?
>

> Is this possible?  My first thought would be no, due to the different
> event loops being used.  Am I correct in this assumption?

It is technically possible:
You could try to insert a second loop in the OnIdle of the gui loop,
which then checks and optionally runs the console message loop.

But I'm not sure that this will work, and if it does, whether the result
will be a responsive application. I would think not.

I would not recommend such a scheme, when asked to do this. It's bound
to create more problems than it will solve.

Michael.