Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

On 11/02/2008, Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Our Linux based company servers have KDE running 24/7, so that unskilled
people can check daily backups, and do other minor things, clicking on a
few dedicated icons on the desktop. No problem whatsoever. Uptime
depends only on kernel updates.

We run a Windows 2003 server and Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Linux) server side
by side. The Linux server has no GUI. All maintenance on the Linux
server is done via scripts and works beautifully. I'm thinking of
rewriting some of those scripts into a single maintenance application
using FPC's console GUI framework (that Turbo Pascal look - I can't
remember the name now).

The Linux server does about four times the work compared to the
Windows server, and it's uptime is also way higher (as in months).
Start-up time is also impressive. The Windows server takes about 5-7
minutes to boot - Linux is up in 30 seconds (and it's a slower
machine). The latter drives the windows administrators nuts!  :-)
Based on our company servers I think non-GUI servers kick ass.
....but now I'm way off-topic again....

Regards,
 - Graeme -

Hi Graeme,

I don't doubt anything you have said, but you are mistaking the difference between windows and *nix for the difference between gui and non-gui. I ran HP-UX servers for years without any problems, despite always having the CDE GUI environment available.
cheers,
John