On Thursday 31 May 2012 May, marti.ma...@littlecms.com wrote:

> Thanks Robin,
>
> I have an implementation based on tables I did time ago. It is based
> on a paper from a conference I attendend time ago...I don't remember
> exactly. Sorry, I have to double check the origin.
>
> But the file you suggest seems also very good. In fact the conversion
> seems simple if you don't care about signed zeros, subnormal NaN...
> unfortunately we should deal with all that cases.
>
> Ok, the table-based implementation is neat but takes some memory, 2048
> 32bit words for mantissa table and there are other additional tables
> as well.
> I can include that in the lcms foundation, or pack it as a plug-in.
> The plug-in approach would need an extra call to initialize it, but then,
> only the clients using half float encoding will pay the extra tables overhead.
>
> Any preferences? I'm open to suggestions

As an application developer, I'm totally fine with the packaged plugin
approach, if distributions will package it. I can live both with the extra call
and the extra memory requirement -- and I totally understand not wanting to
burden every user of lcms2 with the memory requirement.

--
Boudewijn Rempt