Am 19. September 2015 15:01:18 MESZ, schrieb Wolthera <griffinval...@gmail.com>:

>I sent a mail back in august about retrieving data from an icc profile.
>In
>the case of Linearising a given colour value from a gamma corrected
>space
>for the use in filters, the following was suggested:
>
>1. Get a linear version of the same profile.
>2. Convert with LCMS to that profile and back when you're done.
>
>Problem is, how does one obtain this linear profile when expecting any
>arbitrary icc profile?

Obtaining a linear version is indeed not practical. Working spaces are mostly
matrix shaper profile. From there might come the assumtion that creating a
linear version of such profile is almost trivial. But table based profiles are
similarily possible - and then obtaining a linear version is not trivial.

>There's something of an 'linearisation device
>link'
>mentioned in the API docs, but it doesn't mention how to use this, so I
>can't verify if this is the function that I am looking for.

Linearisaton profiles are created from per channel measurements to bring a
press in good profiling condition. It is as well used to keep print conditions
stable according ro measurements. So that is not exactly your case ;-)

>The second option is to have LCMS customly make a profile from the data
>of
>the abitrary profile, but this seems very error-prone?

You will need much effort to get that right.

>Option 3 is to have several hard-coded rgb spaces, which is also quite
>awkward.

It would have its merits. You can then clearly define how a given filter will
work and process in linear space without clipping

>What would be the best way to solve this?

I guess you need to discuss if *all* filters shall work in each space
differently. For curve based filters I would assume yes, each space shall work
differently for per channel curve operations (e.g. curve tool). For such tools
you do not need to colour convert/work in linear space. For doing a
desaturation effect users might simply expect a neutral desaturation regardless
of the underlying colorspace. For blending effects, I would assume CIE*XYZ
(with linear gamma, processed as floating point precission) will give most
relyable/repeatable results.

So, sorry, no one single answere. More a - it depends on the situation.
kind regards
Kai-Uwe