Michael Ströder wrote:
Howard Chu wrote:
From: "Dean Wells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Michael Ströder wrote:
Nitpicking (without offense):
Structural object classes are derived from other structural object =
classes
[Dean Wells] True, but that's not the whole picture.  Structural
classes =
can certainly be derived from other structural classes but, likewise, =
they are also derived (extensively in AD) from aux. classes and a few =
abstracts all the way back to [top].
And again. In X.500 (upon which LDAP is based) structural classes are
only allowed to inherit from structural classes. If they hadn't gotten
this bit wrong, and they actually implemented DIT Structure Rules, they
wouldn't have needed to invent "dynamic auxiliary classes." Instead,
they have something that behaves kinda-sorta-mostly like DIT Structure
Rules but goes off into the weeds with everything else they threw in.

Howard, do you mean DIT content rules? Yes, obviously implementing DIT
structure rules based on these loosened inheritance rules would also
lead to interoperability problems.

Right, sorry, the current discussion involves DIT Content Rules. I was just remembering some problems I had populating an AD directory a week or two ago because they also enforce Structure Rules, but not using the X.500 model. Since that experience was still fresh in my mind I tangled that into this discussion, sorry for the confusion.

I guess other folks get them confused too...
http://home20.inet.tele.dk/era/x500/contrule.htm

Actually you can query DIT content rules from AD's subschema subentry
and they associate aux classes to, well, as Dean says, all other object
classes. The problem is that when implementing a client-side user
interface strictly compliant to LDAPv3 the client obeys to DIT content
rules solely for structural object classes. That's how I've implemented
it in my web2ldap.

--
  -- Howard Chu