With the above software combination we are experiencing "Out of memory"
issues after running for 2-3 days. Strangely, running just OpenLDAP or
just auditd seems OK. The "free" command shows plenty of unused memory.
Server is Compaq DL380 with 4GB memory.

System ran fine on RHEL 3.2 without auditd; however we need to run this
for regulatory compliance.

The /etc/sysctl.conf settings are:

# Following setting advised in a RedHat knowledge article 8555 to handle
# misleading out of memory issues. Default value is 0.
vm.lower_zone_protection = 100

# Now disable the use of the out-of-memory manager. This will result in a
system
# reboot when an out of memory issue occurs.
vm.oom-kill = 0 # Modified 13/12/07 16:00 by ANP

# Make Linux use swap.
vm.overcommit_memory = 2

===

Anyone seen this? Suggest a method to locate the issue? I cannot find any
memory issue reports on www.openldap.org for the 2.3.38.

The RHEL "hugemem" kernel has currently run for 13 days without issue.

Andy N Parker