I was sent another blog post by an individual who is a beta tester in the first beta of the Church's new Family Tree system. You can read it here:

http://rzamor1.livejournal.com/17244.html

Some interesting points from this entry:

"Give it time but GEDCOM I predict will be gone. So will all the problems that now go with it such as sharing information correctly between different software programs. You see Family Tree will work even if you are using a Mac or a PC. The church is developing a web services interface to this and are going to be open sourcing this project. They will be soliciting the world to write their own interfaces to this thing. There will be other websites using this information. You see different cultures use different ways to show their family trees and they couldn't hope to write them all. Instead they are writing a way for everyone to interact with this system so they can write it. Maybe someone will write a lite PDA version without pictures to get text to your PDA. The heavens are open and the sky is the limit. The happy day will be when you have to stop teaching people how to make a GEDCOM."

Web services interface and open source. Wahoo!!! I hope that's correct information. As I responded to this individual, I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg of possibilities in genealogical research.

Another quote:

"The final version is 2.0 to the general public. The focus will be "Finding my Ancestors through Records". This release will connect everything together. Right now they have people working on various portions of this. You have the Family Tree project. Then there is a group working on a research model that will assist in doing research. Another group is digitizing the records of the earth (Internet Indexing) and getting them all in one place, so they can be accessed from anywhere. All these efforts are going on simultaneously. In the 2.0 time frame they come together. I want to be around to see that. Unfortunately I don't have any time frame when these releases will happen - neither do they!"

I get shivers when I think of what will be possible when we combine a collaborative tool like the Family Tree system, digitized versions of 2
million + (and growing) microfilms and open interfaces to it all.

I'm reminded of Isaiah 9:2,

"The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined."

As these microfilms are digitized and made available, it's as if the data about those who were once in darkness (of dusty library shelves and cabinets) are now being brought into a great light of easier availability.

It's an exciting time to be part of this Work!

-- Dan