I would definitely be interested in helping on an open source project.
It might not intercept my Ward's current need, but it might in the
future and it will help other units out. What would be great is if you
could also have a plug-in type system for working with the various
religious awards as well (Duty to God for LDS) which would then allow
other Scouting groups to take advantage of it without tying it to just
LDS Scouting.

</two_cents>

Alex

On 6/6/06, Bryan Murdock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/6/06, Tom Welch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I used TroopMaster in the past and it did not require me to purchase a
> new license each year.  However that was about 3 years ago and they may
> have changed their pricing plan.  The biggest problem that I had with
> TroopMaster was that it is not easy to share with the next scout master
> that comes into the calling.
>
> At the Church we are looking at sponsoring an open source project around
> scouting.  Any interested people that would like to work on such a
> program?

I'm interested.  When I was scoutmaster the complete lack of a decent
free application really bothered me.  It shouldn't be that hard.  In
fact, I have the embarrassing little beginnings of a desktop scout
tracking application here:

http://ctm.sourceforge.net/

Mostly vaporware.  I was too busy as scoutmaster to work on it, and
now that I'm doing something else I sadly haven't had enough
motivation to do much with it in a long while.  I really think
anything done needs to allow easy collaboration between scoutmaster,
assistant scoutmaster, committee chair, even boys and their parents.
That's where existing scout tracking software really fails.  I
searched high and low and there isn't much out there, especially open
source.  Here's the most active open source project:

http://www.jaynorth.net/?view=scouttracker

I believe the author has posted to this list before.

Also along these lines has anyone see what the BSA is doing with this:

https://scoutnet.scouting.org/iadv/UI/Home/

I haven't tracked down my ward's unit ID yet, so I haven't been able
to check it out.

There is another project that does most of what I figured an online
scout tracking application should do here:

http://etrailtoeagle.com

I don't like that it's not free or open source though.

Bryan