A. Rick Anderson wrote:
Tom Welch wrote:

We could use the JPF (Java Plug-in Frameowkr found at http://jpf.sourceforge.net) for an arcitecture to allow us to make this system more modular.
I am not seeing where scout tracking would need plug-in capability. Given the fact that the BSA changes advancement requirements periodically, hard-coding advancement criteria would seem to be short-sighted, and my inclination would be to go with a database driven approach.

However, the requirement to support both thin clients and thick clients, would argue in favor of this type of framework.
I'm thinking of a plugin framework so that others can write plugins (such as DTG or other things we haven't thought of yet). Someone suggested we use the eclipse plugin framework. I'll look into that as well.

I've not used this framework so it may not be suitable. For the database, we could use Derby or One$DB. Again, I'm totally open to other ideas here.
I would recommend that we ship with specific, small database, such as the two you refer to, but that as a design principle, we validate that we can easily install and run on one or more of the commercial caliber DB's such as MySQL.
We could use hibernate which is somewhat DB agnostic. It does not "officially" support Derby or One$DB but reports are that it does work with Derby. I just wonder of hibernate would be somewhat overkill.

I believe that there needs to be two different discussions. One from a technology perspective (which platform, technology, DB, etc) and then a "Features" discussion (look & feel, type of information to track, etc). I'm in the process of setting up a wiki wherein we could all collaborate on these types of documents. I need another month for this to be complete.
A mailing list may be faster to set up and would free up the bandwidth on this list. Could such a list be set up on the same server as this one?

Yes it could.

--
Tom Welch
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email