> >         c) a local harddisk is assumed, which the /var directory will be
> >         written to.
> >                 c1) persistence of /var means lrpkg/ needs to move
> >                 elsewhere.
>
> Why?

No real good reason - just trying to keep system and data separate. If
/var is reserved for log and spool and pid files, it just seems cleaner
to me.

> > 3) Security should be as good as possible.
>
> >         d) packages updated and kernel patched.
>
> > 1-b) This is somewhat hard to do, given the progression from Debian
> > through a few versions of LRP to Oxygen. However, the work is 90% done
> > in the files that are up on my page. My question is, am I violating The
> > Unix Way(TM) by going this direction? Would tons of little config files
> > tied together with lrcfg menu be better?
>
> I think you are, but I'm biased :-)  Part of what I like doing with
> Oxygen is making it behave like any other UNIX out there.  So if one
> looks for /etc/rc* there they are....
>
> > 2-b) If I'm assuming a CD-ROM and a box with lots of RAM, why not get
> > away from the glibc issue and use a newer Linux as my base? Pros and
> > cons?
>
> I've been thinking about the same for my CDROM off and on.  Here are
> some of my ramblings:
>
> * Using a new glibc means you are no longer able to use a floppy
> (probably).

Or it means that root.lrp is on a CD-ROM and all you're getting from the
floppy is /etc....

> * Linux 2.4 is not really yet fully solid and stable; wait for 2.4.9
:)
> * Many patches are not yet available for 2.4 - patches I've been
> watching include: linux progress patch, proconfig, linuxrc-always,
> initrd, VPN+Masq, and openwall.... many of these are not yet available
> for 2.4.  Yet the availability may be much more scarce for 2.2.19...

I'm definitely sticking with 2.2.18 for now -- gotta draw a line in the
sand somewhere, and I don't see a point in going to 2.4 unless going
whole hog (devfs and USB support and a bunch of other stuff I don't care
to deal with at this time).