David Douthitt wrote:

>I've begun working on the next generation... and have Oxygen booting
>with an initial RAM disk - in preparation for running without the
>linuxrc patch.
>
>Running without the initrd archive patch takes just a bit more, but
>shouldn't be too hard.
>
>Basically, what happens is linuxrc sets up a very basic root
>filesystem on /dev/ram1, copies itself over, then runs the bulk of the
>all done, it dismounts everything it can and lets go - to let the
>kernel load init and swap root.
>
>Questions I'd have would be:
>
>1. What parameters are from the patches and what should the
>non-patched kernel parms be?  I suspect initrd_archive is an added
>parameter; I also suspect that root= should now read (in my case)
>root=/dev/ram1 - as this is what is used as root after everything is
>done.

Isn't root= the device where the initrd will be put? For 2.2 kernels
root= and initrd= will do I think. Initrd for 2.4 kernels is a little
different, but can be used the old way for now. You could take a look at
Jacques' kernel 2.4 based distro for how this can be done.

See Documentation/initrd.txt in your kernel source tree. The
linuxrc-always and the initrd-archive patches modify this documentation
though, so keep that in mind.

>2. What is the filesystem of the initial archive supposed to be?  Can
>it be minix?

It can be minix, but at least ext2 and romfs work. Romfs has the
advantage that it's very small. A kernel with tmpfs+romfs is still 5k
smaller than one with just minix. and mkfs.minix is bigger than genromfs
(14k versus 10k), though busybox mkfs.minix may be smaller.

Ewald Wasscher