Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> > For instance, just because your /var/cache maybe full, do you want to
> > arbitrarily purge /var/log files?
> >
> > Not for an instant do I suggest that such complexity is insurmountable;
> > rather, it should be clear that this is far more involved and requires a
> > new paradigm, other than:
> >
> > lrp_SC_DEL_L1="/var/log/*[4-9].gz"
> > lrp_SC_DEL_L2="/var/log/*[1-3].gz"
> > lrp_SC_DEL_L3="/var/log/*.gz"
> > lrp_SC_DEL_L4="/var/log/*.0"
> > lrp_SC_DEL_L5="/var/log/wtmp"
> >
> > Also, do not forget, I do not recommend my solution for its
> > completeness; rather, I recommend it because it more accurately
> > addresses the *default* DCD distribution, can be done by changing one
> > (1) line in the current distribution and does *not* require considerable
> > development and testing time.
>
> I will at least apply the one line fix in the next release.  For the future,
> I'd like to see support for a configuration directory.  There would be some
> default entries, while add-on packages could drop entries into the
> "/etc/purge.d" (or whatever) directory, with customizations for any large
> temporary files the particular package generates.

Do you anticipate that the program (e.g., checkfreespace()) must decide
on which filesystem purge-able files reside, or do you see this as a
manual, pre-configuration issue for the system administrator?

> Long Term:
> I'd also like to see the configuration directory approach taken to logrotate
> (similar to my RedHat distributions, which already do this), and even inetd
> (switch to xinetd?).  Using files in a configuration directory makes the
> seperation of configuration information into packages much easier, ideally
> avoiding any pre/post package install/remove configuration required (or at
> least limiting it as much as possible).

Yes, this appears reasonable.  I do not know these features of Redhat --
is there anything similar on Debian?

Anyway this goes, as you know from my latest proposal, I have already
done the work to get checkfreespace() to df *all* filesystems.  That was
very simple.

Now, we need to decide on the the management system for purge-able
files.  Once the line is drawn in the sand, I can develop the
infrastructure to make appropriate data available to checkfreespace().

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .