At 04:36 PM 2/13/02 -0000, Luis.F.Correia wrote:
>Can you explain me in laymen terms what DCMA stands for?
>I know it means Digital Copyright Millenium Act but what is this exactly?

DMCA, not DCMA. = Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

It is a US law that grants certain rights to copyright holders with respect
to reproduction of their copyrighted materials in digital form.

I've phrased it so vaguely because that's all a *layman* can honestly do.
There is a lot of argument about the meaning and implications of the DMCA.
While I'm not neutral on the policy issues there, this list isn't an
appropriate place to re-hash a well-publiciaed debate.

The usual search engines turn up many relevant links when searched on "DMCA".

>I also know that, to the Portuguese law, software patents do not exist.

But DMCA is about copyright, not patents.