I have received many off-list requests about how to compile a Bering
linux kernel.
So here is a short how-to:

1/ Bering rc2 is built from linux kernel 2.4.18
2/ Bering can work without any patch. Especially none of the former LRP
patches are required.
3/ Bering is compiled with patches to add extra functionnalities, namely
- transparent bridging
- htb QoS
- iptables 1.2.6a patches
and of course ipsec :-)

For those who wants to replicates the "original" Bering rc2 kernel look
at the README.txt in :
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/bering/latest/patches/kernel/
it tells everything. You will also find some all the required patches in
this directory (apart from freeswan 1.97 and iptables 1.2.6a related
ones)

4/ Finally the .config file is there:
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/bering/latest/Bering_1.0-rc2.config

5/ I am compiling the kernel on a Debian Potatoe machine. But any
machine with a Gcc 2.95 or better should do (slink won't work :-))

That's all folks !
Jacques