On Tuesday 02 July 2002 08:33, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> First, a point of order.  In my view of the world, there are two
> major issues currently being discussed:
<snip>
> I think it would probably help prevent confusion if mods to the web
> server itself refer to sh-httpd, while issues related to making
> html/cgi code to monitor or configure the system use the weblet
> moniker.

Agreed, I attempted to clarify this earilier. I considered anything with
configuration a "seperate entity", but if Weblet is modularized the
argument is moot.

> With that out of the way, I completely agree with the idea of forming
> a "group" to work on the weblet portion of the configuration problem.
> This can probably be done with very little effort completely within
> the bounds of the existing LEAF SF project.  With a CVS directory
> somewhere in the existing LEAF tree, folks can share code and
> updates, and even developers w/o LEAF SF developer status can
> check-out code and posts diffs to the leaf-devel mailing list (much
> like the way the busybox list works...I've sent in several bug-fixes
> to busybox that got incorperated into the main code-base, but am not
> a registered busybox developer).  I think the leaf-devel mailing list
> will work fine as a communications mechanism for now, and we can
> always make a new leaf mailing list if the traffic gets too high for
> the leaf-devel list (unlikely, at least for now).

This is fine, I was making sure this was an "approved" method in
accordance with the site admins.

> I can commit to help with the sh-httpd mods, and I think I can
> improve the performance of cgi scripts dramatically.  I can probably
> help with a bit of the html/cgi scripting (ie general architecture
> and maybe solving any thorny scripting issues that crop up), but I
> don't have time to commit to a huge chunk of the project.

I don't have a huge amount of time myself, but I can work on the
core integration with the present Release(s) configuration to a
script-based one. In honesty, I really haven't gone through much
of the present CGI/Weblet scripts yet. If I can catch up with Richard's
changes, I'll be happy to help in any manner there as well.
It appears that I was working in a reverse order to everyone else... ;-)

> It looks like Richard's generally headed in the right direction with
> his mods to the existing html/cgi code, especially with the
> abstraction of the content.  Has anyone else made much progress along
> these lines, or should work start on using Richard's framework to
> start building a web-config architecture?

I think Richard is further along than anyone else with Weblet, I could
contribute some form templates and some variable/conf file proposals
as well.
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!