On Tuesday 13 August 2002 12:31, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> Not that I have time to mess with this, but what's the current state
> of the art regarding multiple upstream internet connections and
> possible bandwidth sharing?

I believe Shorewall has this support built-in from some posts
a while back. I cannot say that anyone has reported back with
a success as of yet though.

> Has anyone tried anything similar with BGP (or similar routing
> protocols)?  It seems reasonable to expect a router that's not too
> many hops away (ie the ISP, or the ISP's upstream provider) would be
> running BGP, and while it's hopefully not possible to alter the route
> list, it might be possible to import route information.  If you could
> do this on both links, and run BGP on the LEAF box, you could do
> *REAL* load-balancing (or am I missing something major here?  I don't
> do much backbone type setup/config, so I could be completely
> off-base).

You would need to run Zebra to run BGP (or other WAN routing protocols)
and there are several people doing this with some form of LEAF. The
WAN routing protocols themselves do load-balancing, and I would assume
that some form of clock syncing would also be necessary, so I think your
up the right path. WISP is running OPSF and RIPv2 instead of Bridging.
The big concern here is that you won't want to run the WAN routing
protocols on the WAN side without implicit permission from your ISP(s),
since your router will automatically update itself to internet WAN
routers unless you limit the protocol to the LAN side.

Eric Kiser is more of the Zebra-person among the present developers
and has indicated that he is/will be working on an image along these
lines.

Hopefully this makes a little sense?
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!