With all the consideration of network package loading and
backup, I'll chip in my $0.02. This is a development method
so I'm also sending this via the leaf-devel list, where it technically
should be discussed.

First of all, David D wrote apkg to approach many shortcomings in
lrpkg. Network loading of packages is one of the additions, so I would
highly suggest anyone seriously looking into adding this support check
out the apkg SRC code.

Second, the PXE bootloader is offered as an option to Syslinux for
method uses sftp, which is supported most OS's. I would imagine
that David has used this method with apkg, though I can't confirm
it. I can't see a reason that any other method would work cleaner
w/o needing to re-write existing code and methods available for
the same purpose.

I would also imagine that you can find some links for documentation
of this method from openbrick.org.... which offers Bering booted in
this manner.

Happy hunting!  ;-)
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!