On Tuesday 21 September 2004 13:14, Tom Eastep wrote:

> > So I think the above link is in error.  Unless there is a different "UDP
> > traceroute" that I don't know of... ?
>
> The 'traceroute' program on any *nix system. The 'tracert' thingy on
> Windoze systems uses ICMP echo-request (ping).
>
> And as for the ICMP 11, the standard samples that I release on
> shorewall.net ALL allow outgoing ICMP from the firewall to ALL zones. So
> the documentation on the Shorewall site is correct.

I have, however, updated the Shorewall site to say that ICMP 11 outbound is
required and to show the usual ICMP outbound ACCEPT rules. I have also
updated the Shorewall LEAF development thread to include those usual rules in
place of outbout ICMP echo-request only rules.

-Tom
Shoreline,     \ http://shorewall.net
Washington USA  \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]