Hi Paul,

>>> What it saves them from having to do is hand mess with etc.lrp on a
>>> second system the very first time they load the flash.
>>>
>> There is absolutly no need for that. We will release some specific
>> configdb packages for certain types of hardware, so it's just a matter of
>> copying the right configdb package to the storage media and of you go.
>
> OK, fair enough, if the console speed and everything else is the same.
> I'm not sure I understand the reluctance to using this idea, but since
> I'm not the one stuck doing maintenance, it's wrong of me to continue to
> try to argue with you.  Sorry for being a pain in the ass--I re-read my
> last message and the tone is not what I intended.

The reason I'm not really enthusiastic about this idea is that it adds a
new dependency between sylinux, initrd and the etc package and also adds
extra complexity to the linuxrc script. Something that I like to avoid as
much as possible, because, for example, makes a change to a different
kernel more difficult.

An advantage of using some hardware specific configdb packages is that you
can also set some other standard options, like selecting the right modules
in /etc/modules, some network options and comment out the normal ttys.

I will keep your idea in mind.

> Best and thanks,
>
> Paul

Regards,