On Sun, 2011-06-19 at 12:48 +0200, KP Kirchdoerfer wrote:
> The FRS is the File Release System of SF; the place where you can download
> the
> images.

Everyone,
Release Files for Download (FRS)
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Release%20files%20for%20download

The FRS supports sub-directories now, however it isn't setup for easy
download scripting.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/ticket/18740
http://sourceforge.net/apps/ideatorrent/sourceforge/?keywords=&tags=download

> Yes we "abused" the version systems (in the past cvs, today git) to store our
> binary packages. Adding the binaries into FRS will clutter it even more than
> it is today.

See sub-directory support:

> Note that the versions system is the place that we can mostly
> control ourself - it's just a plain service from SF and we can do almost
> whatever we like to, mainly a black box for SF. Whereas the FRS and other
> file
> related services are under the control of SF and the way they can be
> accessed,
> the interfaces etc. change from time to time. Sometimes they are slow,
> sometimes defunct and every change needs a rework of our processes.
> "Ab'-using
> the versions systems has been pretty stable over the years.

At least git understands binaries, unlike cvs.

> > One solution might be to put the packages out of the git tree, so no
> > packages directory under buildtool. It should not disturb the underlying
> > make structure or whatever is used to build the packages.

We could make a separate git repository for binaries as a temporary fix.
Creating Multiple Repositories
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Git#CreatingMultipleRepositories

--
Mike Noyes