Using git to store the packages and using branch to group the packages by
version/architecture is really a good thing and it's not dependent to how and
where the files are host.
But using http to get the packages is a bad thing for me because is dependent
of how the http server expose the files/trees.
For me it's much better to use git to retrieve the files because it's
independent to the host provider and we can use a lot of different transport
protocols to retrieve the files (ssh, http, https, rsync, etc...).
The problem when using git as a repository for binaries is that if you clone
the repository you will download all the files (and all the history) which can
be very very huge. Also replacing a package with a new one will not delete the
previous files in the repository and it will always become bigger and bigger.
This is why i wrote git-store that store only symlinks and not the binaries in
commits. So cloning the repository is instantaneous. But the best thing is that
the binaries are store in the git repository and the files can be retrieve
(using the git command) on demand.

Regards,
Yves