A friend brought his brand new DCD router over to trouble shoot.  He
bought one of those Flex board + 700 MHz + 256 M RAM + tiny 6" x 6"
case.  (I can't afford the price tag - but it is pretty).

Here is the symptom he had.  The CD booted ok and loaded all the
lrps.  None of the modules would load from the CD.
I could not mount the CD by hand.  He had inadvertently plugged the CD
into the secondary ide plug.
/etc/modules expects the CD to be on Primary Master.
! mount iso9660 /dev/hda
only then can it find the modules for the NICs
! dir /lib/modules/net

lesson:
a hardware installation problem can look like a configuration problem.

PS -  for those who use rtl8139.o - the new 8139too.o is on the CD.
The genius of having all those modules in a directory tree on the CD -
not in an LRP -  makes life simple.  Thanks Charles - no need to copy
them to /lib/modules - just spell them correctly in the /etc/modules
file.  Just singing the praises of the DCD!