On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Jason C. Leach wrote:

> hi,
>
> With Dachstein 1.0.2, is it possible to have a 4 NIC system where:
>
> eth0: Internet via Cable.
> eth1: Internet via DSL
>
> eth2: localnet
> eth3: DMZ.
>
> I'd like to have 2 lines dedicated to the Internet connection for
> redundancy.  It looks like Dachstein has the needed options in
> the Kernel, and comes with the 'ip' binary needed to setup
> multiple routing tables.
>
> They don't really need to be load balanced, I just need fall-back;
> if one fails the other will pick up the slack.
>
> Thanks,
> j.

I don't think load-balanced is even possible in this scenario because of
the two different NAT statements (but I'm reading a book that is giving
me hope again, "Policy Routing with Linux" on the SAMS label)...

To do failover, use something like ifcheck at
http://www.monkeynoodle.org/lrp/packages/net-utils/ to detect a dead
interface, copy network.conf.cable or .dsl into place, and restart
networking.

Jack
--
Jack Coates