Hi Simon

Simon Bolduc wrote the following at 18:58 06.02.2002:
>Seems that Rogers is using ESMTP as the protocol - which isn't really POP
>before SMTP (as far as I can tell at least) - using a program called
>postie I am able to mail via a command line - without telling it what my
>pop server's address is.  So I guess I'll just scp the necessary log files
>over to my server - and have it do the mailing - oh well....  not as
>efficient as it was - but at least it'll work.

ESMTP is an extension to SMTP. Normally an ESMTP capable server supports
SMTP. You can check on the server like

luna > telnet luna 25
Trying 194.124.158.50...
Connected to luna.think.ch.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 luna.think.ch ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.0/8.12.0; Wed, 6 Feb 2002 21:49:28 +0100
ehlo jupiter
250-luna.think.ch Hello luna.think.ch [194.124.158.50], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-STARTTLS
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
mail from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
250 2.1.0 [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sender ok
rcpt to: testuser
250 2.1.5 testuser... Recipient ok
data
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
test
.
250 2.0.0 g16KnSbV004853 Message accepted for delivery
quit
221 2.0.0 luna.think.ch closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

this is a ESMTP session. If your server supports this, then you can find a
host of applications which will do that for you on the net. The normal *X
mail command is a frontend to sendmail which will do (E)SMTP for you, but a
full fledged sendmail distribution is way too big for a floppy based machine.

have a look at

http://www.engelschall.com/sw/smtpclient/

this might fit on a LEAF machine

regards