"Chen, Elvis" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Can someone please outline some instruction on how to
> make Dachstein LRP onto a 1.44MB floppy?
>
> I have some very old 486DX with 2 floppy drives, but
> they can't read 1.68MB disks.  Is there something
> unique to where syslinux has to be on the floppy, or
> can I simply copy them from a 1.68MB disk to an 1.44MB
> one?
>
> thx in advance,
>
> Elvis

Add your second floppy drive to the LRP box.  Use a cable
with 7 wires flipped over on the ribbon cable - which goes
to fd0.

Boot the 1.68 Dachstein image and make all the changes and backup from
lrcfg. Reboot and make sure everything is working ok.

1. Mark two 1.44 DOS formatted floppies "disk 1" and "disk 2".  Get
syslinux from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/

These are packaged for linux or Dos.  If you want to use
your Windows box - get the zip format.  In DOS do:
syslinux -s a:
to the diskette marked disk1.  This makes it bootable (like
sys in dos).

2. From the LEAF system booted on the 1.68 diskette

a.   # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0u1680 /mnt
copy all the files from the floppy to the /tmp directory
      # cp /mnt/linux /tmp/linux
after copying all the files
      # umount /mnt

b.   Edit syslinux.cfg in the /tmp directory to reflect the changes.  The
boot=/dev/fd0 and PKGPATH=dev/fd0,/dev/fd1

c.  Put "disk1" which has been made bootable with syslinux and copy some
of the files from /tmp to it.
       # mount -t msdos /dev/fd1 /mnt
       # cd /tmp
       # cp /tmp/files_to_move  /mnt/files_to_move
Do not completely fill "disk 1" You can use df to check for
space as you are moving the files.
Files that need to go on "disk 1" are
syslinux.cfg syslinux.dpy root.lrp linux
      # unmount /mnt
d.    put "disk2" in the fd1
       # mount -t msdos /dev/fd1 /mnt
       # cp /tmp/rest_of_lrp_files /mnt/rest_of_lrp files
       # use df to check for space on the diskette
       # umount /mnt
3. Put "disk 1" in fd0 and "disk 2" in fd1.  Reboot your LEAF
box... you can do this from the prompt # reboot

All the packages should load from both diskettes and lrcfg
will automatically backup each package to it's proper
diskette.  You now have 2.88 megs on a two diskette Dachstein.

Always make backups of your operating system - as diskettes which are left
in the drives tend to accumulate dust on the open window and self destroy
when you reboot.  Either that or leave the diskettes half way out to keep
the dust cover closed.