Hi

At 05:36 05.05.2002 -0700, you wrote:
>--__--__--
>
>Message: 1
>Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 17:07:09 -0700 (PDT)
>From: John Desmond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: [leaf-user] Question about Dynamic DNS
>
>I just got myself an account on dyndns.org and, as I
>wait for the FQDN to waft through the world's DNS
>servers, I thought I might ask how others have avoided
>dyndns "abuse". They say they'll block your name if
>you automatically update their server with the same ip
>you had last time. I noticed that when I reboot the
>router I often receive the same ip as I had before. I
>guess ez-ipupdate caches the ip, but that gets lost on
>the reboot (ESBeta2). Has anyone developed some script
>to compare the interface ip to an ip received from a
>web-based ip checker before calling ez-ipupdate?

I have not done this but why not just dig or nslookup for the FQDN before
launching ez-ipupdate and then decide if it is needed?

something like

if (my_new_ip != nslookup(myhost.dyndns.org))
     ez_ipupdate(my_new_ip);

that should cover most circumstances unless you are rebooting often,
getting a new address all the time and TTL's are longer than your reboot
interval.

HTH

Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024  8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16