Max partition size is 24MB. Maybe that is the problem. Try redoing the
setup with a 24MB partition.

Mohan

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Matt
Stockdale
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 3:40 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [leaf-user] LEAF Newbie - Questions reguarding 4501 Bering
install

I've searched the archives to some extent, but I couldn't find anything
relevant.. If however, I missed something, please point me in the right
direction..

I'm attempting to install Bering rc3 onto a CF card, which will go into
my soekris 4501. I'm using RedHat 7.2 running on my IBM thinkpad (which
has a CF adapter built into it) to place the files on the CF. However,
the 4501 just refuses to boot it.

I've followed the instructions at
http://www.franzdoodle.com/bering/net4501_cf.txt, and also the very
similar set at
http://www.mail-archive.com/leaf-cvs-commits@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00
074.html.

I wasn't sure how the CF was supposed to be made bootable as listed in
the franzdoodle docs, there was no mention of running syslinux on the CF
(which I did anyways), and I even tried adding "serial 0 19200" to the
top of syslinux.cfg, to see if it was even booting syslinux, which is
doesn't appear to be.

the CF I'm using is a Transcend 32mb that worked fine w/ emBSD.

I used linux fdisk to partition it w/ 1 partition, spanning the whole
CF, of type "FAT16" (hde1), and made the partition bootable. I copied
all the files over from the floppy image, replaced the kernel w/ one I
compiled (2.4.19) w/ serial support and serial console support built in,
copied over the ide and natsemi modules, and edited added the ttyS0
getty to inittab and securetty..

Any idea where I can start troubleshooting?

Thanks,
  Matt