OK, so I have setup Bering rc3 on a couple of boxes and simulated different speeds of
Internet connectivity to test the IPSec (freeswan) implementation and am very pleased
with the results.  Also, I am very happy with how easy the configuration is.  So, my
question and situation pertaining to wireless is as follows.

I have the SMC 2602W, a PCI card which houses a SMC 2632 PCMCIA card, for which I seem
to think that I'll be compiling the Atmel drivers since I haven't found any .lrp
packages or .o drivers that are specific to this wireless chipset.  If this is wrong,
please correct me.  In any event, what I wondering is what would be the best way to
provide encryption, if not also authentication, in order to use wireless and be
treated as a "trusted" host on my LAN.  I already know to just completely disregard
WEP, as it appears to have been compromised to being the Worthless Encryption
Protocol.  So, are there any wireless cards, besides Cisco, that are supported by
LEAF, Bering, or just Linux that can do either the Extensible Authentication Protocol
(EAP), or Cisco's variant, called LEAP?

Outside of L/EAP being available, I have run through several scenarios to consider, as
follows:

--use MAC filtering in Shorewall to only allow specified wireless NICs to even pass
packet filtering rules

--use DHCP, with the wireless card setup as a bridged interface -OR- use DHCP relay
with the wireless card setup as a routed interface?

--use IPSec road-warrior configuration between "trusted" zones and wireless client(s),
but will IPSec work if the client is on the same segment as my local LAN (in the case
above where I presume to bridge the 802.11 with the LAN), assuming that I have a
shorewall rule-set that only allows IPSec-specific traffic through?

Obviously, I would like to stay as close to convenience as possible without
sacrificing any security.  Unfortunately, I think that the Bering support for L/EAP is
currently non-existent, which makes IPSec the most secure choice, but I'm pondering
the most functional, least complex solution that is available.

Additionally, if there are any horror stories about using (or trying to use) the SMC
card that I mention, please advise on that as well, especially since I'd readily
switch to any card that has better support, is easier to use, or has more
functionality, especially since the prices of the 802.11b cards seem to have dropped
steeply with the advent of 802.11a and 802.11g.

Any and all replies to my questions are welcome!  Thanks in advance...

Rob