...server returns port # to use...
Data: Client * -> * Server (Server supplied port #)

So...for passive FTP, you need to forward port 21 from your firewall to the FTP server. This will let clients connect. To support passive FTP, you then need to configure your FTP server to use a specific range of ports for passive connections, and configure your firewall to forward these ports to your FTP server as well.

Configuration of the passive port range varies depending on your FTP server. Some FTP servers cannot set the passive port range...in this case, you should switch FTP servers to one that is more firewall friendly.

Then, when a client requests a passive-mode data connection, the FTP server will provide a destination port # within a specific range, and when this packet hits your firewall, it will be forwarded to the FTP server, and all will be right with the world. :-)

NOTE: In addition to port-forwarding, you also have to make sure your firewall rules allow the inbound traffic.

--
Charles Steinkuehler