Hi,

> You don't say what this router is going to do.

  OK, more detailed this time. I dont have the exact specifications but will
try to explain it the better I can.

  First of all, I have very few information yet. A frien of us that is helping
organicing a local "Computer Party" asked us if we wanted to cooperative
placing a Lince system in it. They are just designing the infraestructure and
for us being in such a party would mean a lot of publicity and a real hard
test for our little system.

  This system will manage the Internet access of around 500 users and servers
in a "Computer Party". Other servers will provide the needed services (FTP;
DHCP, Quake,...) This system just needs to be the "last frontier".

  This system has 3 Realtek ethernet interfaces. One will go to the WAN link
(20MB) and the other two I dont know yet. The servers wont provide access
from the Internet, so dont know if they will need a DMZ.

  The system will do firewalling to the ouside and HTB (or CBQ if too hard for
CPU) based QoS. All the inside computers will have a "real public IP" so NAT
wont be needed. Just that.

  Inside we will have very expensive and intelligent equipment from Cisco
(dont know the models yet). I guess all internall 100MB traffic will be
managed by them. So the LEAF system only needs to manage the "internet"
bandwith.

  A little ASCII art :)

                                   INTERNET

                                         | 20 MB

                                     LEAF
                                     |       |
                      DMZ    ---       | 100 MB

                                      Cisco (s)
                                      | | | | | | | | |
                                      | | | | | | | | |
                                       100 MB
                       Internal servers and clients

> Do you want 500 users to have simultaneous Internet access?

  Yes

> With Nat?

  No

> DCHP?

  No

> With two cards, 2 Lans?

  The board has 3 ethernets, but dont know the exact configuration yet (with
DMZ or two internal). I guess that placing both as internal will force the
system to manage a 100MB stream and this will be surelly blow in peaces. So
or DMZ or just leave the third interface unused.

> On a single T1?

  It will be a single connection, dont know the typeyet.

> Are you going to chain together 50 to 100 hubs?

  I guess they are going to chain toguether SWITCHES and use real Cisco
routers.

> A Via 533 is not going to service 100MBS total bandwith.

  I saw that. That is why the system is just in the "border" to manage only
20MB. All internal traffic will be managed by dedicated equipment from Cisco.

> And this sounds like downtown collision city.

  All the infraestructure will be conmutated.

  We have other options. We could use the same system but with 2x Intel
Ethernet 10/100 and 1x Intel 10/100/1000, we could use one with 512 MB RAM or
we could update the CPU to a VIA C3 800. I just one to know if the other box
will be enough.

  Thanks in advance. Regards.

--
Jaime Nebrera - [EMAIL PROTECTED]