William Brinkman wrote:
All,

I put the NTP rpm in my mandrake 9.0 linux box.

Set the ntp.conf "server" to 192.168.1.254 (firewall
address).  Inserted a /etc/ntp.drift and put a 1 in
the file.  Started the ntpd daemon.

Tested out the troubleshooting guide and on the
mandrake box tried a:

# ntpq -p 192.168.1.254

The results indicated that the firewall was doing its
job as a time server.  The display indicated every
server I had in the conf file of the fire wall as well
as detailed statistics on how much they vary from each
other.

Now the strange part:  From the M$ box, using
Automachron time update software, the time will sync
fine to the mandrake box, but still has the socket
error for the firewall.

Looks like I need to test some other software that
will be more forgiving with the firewall.

Before you give up on your current setup, try pointing your M$ client to any other valid IP's on the firewall box (not just the internal interface IP). You should have at least one more IP: the IP of your external interface.

This may not be an issue with the NTP server you're using, but I've had problems with IP aliases and NTP servers before. Things would seem to be working properly, but I couldn't get NTP clients to sync to any but the primary IP of an interface.

Of course, if you've got a Mandrake box available, I'd just set that up as you local time server, and sync everything (including the firewall) to it.

--
Charles Steinkuehler