On Monday 09 June 2003 04:02 pm, Ruchira Datta wrote:
> Hi, I have been a satisfied user of LRP-based firewalls for several years
> now.  However, I now have a problem.  I have an old 486 running Dachstein
> v.1.0.2 (the "normal" floppy image with the 2.2.19-3 IPsec enabled Linux
> kernel), acting as a firewall between DSL and my home network.  I have a
> dual-boot laptop which I am trying to use to connect to my corporate
> intranet using the Nortel Netlock Contivity Client.  When I boot the laptop
> to Windows 2000 and use the Windows version of the client from behind the
> firewall, everything works fine.  When I boot the laptop to Linux and use
> the Linux version of the client with the laptop connected directly to the
> DSL modem, everything works fine.  But when I boot the laptop to Linux and
> use the Linux version of the client from behind the firewall, the client
> claims to have successfully established a connection, but nothing gets
> through the connection.  If I ping any address (including numerical
> addresses within the intranet) it says "N packets transmitted, 0 packets
> received, 100% packet loss".
>
> I realize I probably need to provide a lot more specific information for
> anyone to help me, but for now I just have a simple multiple-choice
> question.  Could someone please tell me whether

> b) I need to change the configuration of my Linux laptop

Let's pick b) since the same machine works when booting Win32.
It appears that your port-forwarding the VPN connection through
the firewall, so NAT-transversal is NOT the issue. It appears
that the routing table is NOT setup when the Linux client comes
up, which is often left to you to configure with many Linux
clients. Try connecting with the Linux client and compare the
routing table to that on the Win32 system when connected, this
should enlighten what you need to add to make everything work.
--
~Lynn Avants
Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall Developer