Nick:
The Homepna module (il.o) for Bering 1.2 is available in my testing directory
Give it a try and let me know if it is working OK
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/testing/il.o
insmod it. It should create an ethx interface automatically. Then declare
that interface in /etc/interfaces as usual.
Jacques