On Tuesday 01 July 2003 04:26 pm, Raymond Page wrote:
> not really sure what the problem is, and could use debugging pointers, ie.
> look for processes, how to enable and then check relevant logs, so i can be
> more elaborate with what is wrong.
>
> My problem is that after an hour or so of no active internet use, I lose
> the ability to dns lookups from my Bering box.  It can ping nameservers,
> however the lookup seems to have died.  Any ideas why?  I'm using dnscache,
> might tinydns be better?

It sounds as if dnscache is hanging on you. There are some sites that simply
do not conform to the settings of dnscache. Tinydns is an entirely different
beast as it *is* a full dns server, not a caching server. The 'maradns'
package would be the next best choice that works around the issues that
dnscache has and possibly a better option in your situation.

Any loggable problems with dnscache would be found in either /var/log/syslog
or /var/log/daemon.log.
--
~Lynn Avants
Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall Developer